Underground mini series
The Underground is a television series that aired on WGN America from 2016 to 2017. It is a historical fiction drama series that tells the story of a group of enslaved African Americans who plan a daring escape from a Georgia plantation to reach freedom in the North during the antebellum era. The show explores themes of freedom, resistance, and the Underground Railroad. It was created by Misha Green and Joe Pokaski and produced by Sony Pictures Television. The series received generally positive reviews from critics and viewers, and was praised for its historical accuracy and powerful performances.
what’s special about Underground mini series ? why one should watch it
The Underground is special because it tells an important and often overlooked story of the African American struggle for freedom during the antebellum era. The series is based on the true events of the Underground Railroad, which was a network of secret routes and safe houses that helped enslaved African Americans escape to freedom in the North. The show highlights the bravery and resilience of those who risked everything to escape slavery, and it also portrays the horror and brutality of the institution of slavery.
One should watch the Underground for its powerful performances, compelling story-line, and historical accuracy. The show also delves into the complexities of race, class, and identity during this time period and it is well researched that makes it more interesting. The series also has a diverse cast of characters, which adds to its authenticity and relevance. Overall, The Underground is an important and thought-provoking series that provides a unique perspective on a crucial period in American history.
Main cast Underground mini series
The main cast of The Underground includes:
- Jurnee Smollett as Rosalee, a young enslaved woman who joins the Underground Railroad
- Aldis Hodge as Noah, a skilled blacksmith and leader of the escape group
- Jessica De Gouw as Elizabeth Hawkes, a wealthy white abolitionist who aids the escape group
- Alano Miller as Cato, a slave who is torn between his desire for freedom and his loyalty to the plantation
- Amirah Vann as Ernestine, the head house slave who is fiercely protective of her children
- Christopher Meloni as August Pullman, a ruthless slave catcher who is determined to capture the escape group
- Mykelti Williamson as Pearly Mae, a wise and respected enslaved man who acts as a mentor to the escape group Also, many other actors played important characters throughout the series.
Underground mini series awards
The Underground received generally positive reviews from both critics and viewers. The series was praised for its historical accuracy, powerful performances, and compelling story-line. Many critics praised the show for shedding light on an important and often overlooked period in American history and for providing a unique perspective on the African American struggle for freedom.
- The show was nominated for several awards, including Primetime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Sound Editing for a Limited Series, Movie or Special,
- Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Period Program (One Hour or More)
- Outstanding Music Composition for a Limited Series, Movie or Special (Original Dramatic Score).
- The Underground also won the Outstanding Writing for a Limited Series, Movie, or Dramatic Special at the 2017 Writers Guild of America Awards.
- It was also nominated for Critics’ Choice Television Awards for Best Supporting Actress in a Movie/Limited Series (Amirah Vann) and
- Best Supporting Actor in a Movie/Limited Series (Alano Miller)
- In addition, the show was nominated for a NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Writing in a Dramatic Series and for a 2017 Peabody Award in the Entertainment category.